Here are all the frequently asked questions for the Scheepjes CAL 2014. If your question isn’t answered here, try the Facebook group! :)
To all new members: please read this post carefully!
A lot of people still have questions, so here are the FAQ’s. If you have any further questions please make sure to read through the group first, as your question may have already been posted by someone else. Help each other out and stay friendly :)
The project: Scheepjes Blanket CAL 2014, hosted by A Creative Being
Yarn used: Scheepjes Cotton 8 in 12 colours (26 skeins)
Hook size: 3mm
Pattern source: On www.acreativebeing.com and in the Facebook group as PDF’s in English (US terms) and Dutch – FREE! This is a mystery CAL so the first part of the pattern will be released on October 3rd. The pattern will be in written format with clear photos. There will be NO chart for this pattern. This is a free pattern for you from me, please try to respect that.
Yarn supply: available from Deramores.com
Start date: October 3rd
End date: December 19th
Skill level: Beginner/Intermediate
Finished blanket size: If you use all the skeins in the kit you’ll end up with a 1-person blanket
For anyone who would like to keep the mystery of the CAL and begin on the 7th of November, we have made a second group! Feel free to hop over :)
Please respect the fact that this project and group is organised by Scheepjeswol, for a CAL using their yarns. Posts advertising other/alternative yarns will be removed. Posting photos of blankets made using a different yarn is permitted.
Where can I find the pattern?
– You can download the patterns each week from http://acreativebeing.com/ or from this Facebook group. You can find the files here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scheepjescal/files/ They’re PDF’s, so they’re easy to use on pc, tablet and/or mobile. There will be a new PDF for each pattern.
What are we crocheting?
– We are crocheting squares! (so no circles, rectangles, triangles…)
What will the final blanket look like?
– We’re not telling you that yet, this is a mystery CAL after all. We will give a little sneak peek each week for every new square.
How much squares are we making?
– 6 Squares a week, for a total of 60. Week 11 and 12 are for joining and the border.
How large will the blanket be?
– That completely depends on the number of squares you make. If you use the kit you’ll have 60 squares, so your blanket will be about 39 by 70”, depending on 6×10 squares. You could make it larger or smaller by making more or less squares.
What are we working with?
– We are working with Cotton 8 yarn from Scheepjeswol. We made kits with this yarn that you can use.
Where can I get a kit?
– Via http://www.scheepjeswol.com/en/shops/ you can find the shops that offer a kit.
Can I use other yarn for this CAL?
– Of course! Making a blanket is a fabulous stash buster :) We do ask you not to mention the brand of the yarn you used.
So what about posting photos?
– You’re allowed to post pictures of the squares you made, even if you didn’t make them with Scheepjes. We do ask you not to mention the brand of the yarn you used.
I’m participating in another CAL. Can I mention it in this group, and post pictures of my progress?
– No. This group is only meant for the Scheepjes CAL. All posts about other CALS will be removed by the admins.
Where can I find the colour way numbers for the kits?
– Right here. Kit 1 has 2 balls of these colours:642, 723, 669, 713, 663, 508, 714, 651, 721, 529 and 661, and 4 balls of colour 726. Kit 2 has 2 balls of these colours:722, 510, 720, 716, 713, 669, 529, 671, 726, 649, 651, and 4 balls of colour 717.
My favourite yarn shop still has kits for sale. Can I place a link in the group?
—No. All shops that sell kits can be found here: http://www.scheepjeswol.com/en/shops/
Can I name the shop then?
– We’d rather you didn’t; this often comes off as advertising, and that will be deleted by our admins.
What time will the pattern be released each week?
– Every Friday at 10AM Amsterdam time; 4 AM Friday- East Coast; 3 AM Friday- Central Time; 2 AM Friday -Mountain Time; 1 AM Friday. Pacific Coast; Midnight Thursday/Friday – Alaska; 10 PM Thursday – Hawaii.
How big will the squares be?
– About 18cms/7”. This is of course different for everybody, and that’s okay!
I don’t think I have enough yarn/I can’t get 6 squares from 2 balls of yarn. What should I do?
– This happens. No need to panic; just finish with a different colour. If you’re really worried that you don’t have enough, you can always order an extra ball of yarn.
What’s this about a second group?
– We made another Facebook group for all the people that haven’t received their yarn yet. They will collectively start on November 7th. The patterns will be released to that group separately from this one; they will be the exact same patterns. You can find the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scheepjescal7nov/
You are all using size 3mm hooks. What hook is that in US terms?
– The Tips & Tricks PDF contains a conversion chart with international hook sizes. You can find the PDF under Files: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scheepjescal/files/
What terms is the pattern written in? US or UK/AU?
– The pattern is written using US terms and abbreviations. However, the Tips & Tricks PDF contains a conversion chart with crochet stitches from US to UK/AU terms. You can find the PDF under Files: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scheepjescal/files/